08/24/2010 | 35 Comments

Goal:
      Open up the front of your hips. Try and get 4 min each side.
      Test: Air Squat
      Mobilize 8 min
      Retest: Air Squat
      Note changes in quality of your squat/depth/etc.
      Enjoy the feeling of undoing years of sitting in a chair.

And for crying out loud. Don’t go into the pain cave. I can’t stress this enough. Your Totem Animal won’t be in there to help you.

You’ll be on your own.
      The Pain Cave is for cowards.
      Pain is your companion, don’t go hide from it.

It’s ok to do a mobility wod every day.

Homework: Make someone in your office or family do it too. Post non-pain cave based experiences to comments.

m|wod pro members! Check out this video to open up your hips!

Kstar

In this episode: Open up your tight hips, resolve pain and prevent injury with the couch stretch. Don’t go in the pain cave. Your totem animal will not help you.

• Bodypart / Joint
    • Muscle / Tissue

35 thoughts on “Couch Stretch, Tight Hips & Don’t Go In the Pain Cave | Mobility Project Episode 2

1. Monte

Thanks for keeping the archives available. Every so often I look at the early videos to remind myself of the right way to do these drills.

2. Pingback: WEDNESDAY 130708 | CrossFit Cumming

3. Jeremy

I just started doing these mobility wods. I did this one this evening and my legs are for sure hurting. I must be short in the anterior muscles. I didn’t go in the pain cave though.

4. Pingback: SAPT Exercise of the Week: Snatch Grip Deadlifts – Strong Girls Win

5. Pingback: Fixing the Front Kick | Norcross Yoshukai

6. steven

Why is it important, or is it, for the knee and shin to be against the wall when doing this exercise?

7. Matt C

Hey, quick question, when i do this stretch, i feel alot of pain in my knee. What could this mean? my knee has had discomfort for the past year when i’m sitting down or sometimes when walking up the stairs; and looking for solutions for me knee, i came across this video.

1. Marc Hansen

I get a pain in my right knee as well when doing these – it feels like my entire quad is super tight and it’s pulling up on my knee ligaments and knee cap which causes a weird tension feeling around the knee. Especially when I engage my glut muscles. Maybe it’s a sign that i need to do these every day in order to heal my knee pain?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

8. Pingback: Desk Jockey Joint Pain | SpunkyFitnessJunky

9. Pingback: Rest 10-9-2013 - Endorphin CrossFit

10. 4Ehlers

I had to break this into 2 minute intervals (I was surprised how tight I was) – My hips felt very relaxed when I was done – Thanks

11. Pingback: A better version of myself — Insight into the Life of Mrs. H

12. Sunny

WOW!!!! answer to my prayers!!!! I have never beeen stuck at a desk before but got this great job and was determined to make it work. I have always been very active, yoga, running, etc. But just two weeks at my desk sitting and i couldn’t walk without pain and limping. Had to force myself to run and muscle through the pain. I couldn’t believe that all i’ve been through and how strong and healthy I was that was sitting all day was the culprit. I had my office raise my desk and I now stand. But after a week that wasn’t enough to cure my pain. Just saw your video right now and after one 4 min stretch my hip is worlds better!!!!! so Grateful. I was really at a loss of how to get better if I ever even would. I was about to join a soccer league with my boyfriend and he was going to train me and was bummed I wasn’t going to be well enough. Had to stop doing my daily runs as well. I know that if I do this stretch daily I am cured! Feel like crying tears of joy. There are not enough Thank you’s to express my gratitude. Thank you for doing what you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Pingback: 25 Nov 13 | FUNCTIONAL FITNESS FACTORY

14. Pingback: On ‘core’ training. – Climbing Hacks

15. Pingback: Mobilizing For The Squat | SPC CrossFitSPC CrossFit

16. Pingback: 030113 CrossFit WOD | CrossFit 0260

17. Pingback: Tuesday – Hip Pain and Immobility | Southington CrossFit

18. Pingback: Insight into the Life of Mrs. H - Couch Stretch

19. Pingback: 3 Strength and Conditioning Experts Make Recommendations for Law Enforcement Officers | Premeditated Fitness

20. Pingback: Is Sitting Too Much is Killing You?

21. Pingback: Is Sitting Too Much is Killing You? | The Professionals in Carpet Cleaning

22. Todd

Hey KStar! Whenever I do this stretch, if I raise my leg afterword (hip flexion, bent knee) I feel a bit of sharp pain in the hip joint. This goes away in a few minutes, but I was wondering if it was something I should be worried about (FAIS or something).

Thanks for all of the wonderful videos. MWOD has helped me a ton!

23. Tomas

Sorry, I have a question about these.. are they supposed to be done just in cold, or after some warmup, or what? It seems a bit extreme to be done cold, I want to better myself, but I’m no athlete and I don’t have much experience

24. Pingback: The Couch Stretch

25. Pingback: Your Body is The Temple of Your Holy Spirit – Muladhara Part 1 | The Cumulative Archive of BadAss Motherfuckers

26. Pingback: Looking For A Challenge? Try the Snatch Grip Deadlift - SAPT